Have you had your hair transplant successfully done and do you think you did it all? Or do you think that all the work is done by your expert and their team and you just have to wait for your hair to grow? If you are thinking like that, you’re wrong. In order for hair transplant to have a healthy result; except the operation, it is very important to know what you need to do before and after the hair transplant.
After the hair transplant, your hair will completely regrow within 1 year in the front area and a year and a half in the crown area. However, the time period you need to pay close attention to it is up to 3 months. Because, during this period, the planted hair falls leaving the roots behind and your own hair starts to grow.
What To Do After Hair Transplantation
- It is highly recommended that you should follow all the post-operative instructions in order to take care of your hair in the first three months.
- There will be blood scabs on your skin the following 7 – 10 days after the operation. By the end of the first month, the transplanted hair will fall leaving the roots behind and it will start to grow back again by the end of the third month. The full process is 12 months for the frontal area and 18 months for the crown area.
- In the first week, please be careful and do not hit your head to anywhere. Any damage can result in the death of the grafts. Especially you should be careful when you are getting in/out of the car.
- You should use the medicines prescribed by the specialists.
- If you travel right after the operation, please take a traveller’s pillow with you. You should not rest your head on the window or any other place during the trip, so the traveller’s pillow will help you. You should wait minimum 1 day before flying.
- Please rest for two days after the operation. Do not go to work if possible. You should lie down on your back and rest for 2 days to not have any swelling on your face. If any swelling occurs on your face do not worry, it will all be gone after 3 – 4 days. It does not have any side effect on your health however it is just a visual look.
- Please do not use alcohol following one week after the operation. (To avoid interaction with painkillers and antibiotics).
- Please, do not use blood thinners, Aspirin, Ginseng, B – E vitamins, Multivitamin or herbal tablets following one week after the operation.
- Do not have sexual intercourse for one week.
- Do not make any strengthening exercises that will force your body to sweat for 1 month. (Cardio and walking exercises must be avoided as well).
- You should wear front buttoned/zipper shirts, following one week after the operation. Do not wear narrow neck top wears.
- In the first week, you should lay down on your back while sleeping. If you had hair transplant on your crown area, you can support your neck with a towel or traveller’s pillow so you will protect the transplanted grafts.
- Blood scabs can be completely cleared one week after the operation. This is optional. If you want to get this care; on the 7th day after the operation you should apply lotion to the transplanted area every single hour. You should not wash it away. After applying the lotion for 8 times (8 hours) you should put cling film on your head and wear a hat on top of it. You should come to the Clinic with lotion on your head. We will clear the scabs out of the lotion once you arrive here.
- Do not apply any other shampoo. You can use only the recommended shampoo for the first 10 days.
- You can wash your hair by rubbing gently 10 days after the operation.
- Do not use the steam room, Sauna or solarium in the first month.
- Do not use Turkish Baths for the first 3 months.
- Avoid snow, rain, hail. If you arrive in winter time please bring an umbrella with you.
- Do not stay under the sun for a long time and do not swim or sunbathe for the first month.
- When drying your head with a towel or using a blow dry in the first 10 days please follow the specialists’ instructions.
- Do not go bodybuilding, play football or basketball following one month after operation.
- Do not shave the transplanted area for the following 6 months after the operation. You can cut it with scissors ( It is recommended not to use the machine until after a year from the transplant).
- Do not dye/bleach/colour your hair in the first 3 months.
Pain, throbbing and burning sensation will disappear completely after 1 month from the operation.
- Do not wear a hat for a long period of time because it will block your hair from breathing.
It is essential that you should visit us every 3 months for control. If you cannot visit you should send us your photos.
**If you have any questions or problems about the hair transplant please contact our trichologists/doctor. Second-hand information can mislead you and affect your operation negatively**